Tuesday, May 19, 2009



I was studying psychology, and something struck me. Now this doesn't usually happen as everything that comes out of my psychology books usually sounds high and made for stoner's to reflect upon. However... This hit me:

Erikson talks about stages in life, and what goes into each. Some are a bit stretched, but he talks about this particular stage, called 'Adolescence: Identity vs Role confusion' This stage goes on from 13-19. He describes how during this stage an identity crisis is normal, however such problems should be resolved at this point..if not there would be a frantic search for identity starting again in old age. He thought that identity resulted from role confusion (ie who u are and what you want to do in life). He says that the most disturbing part is youth's ability to decide an occupational identity. Finally if none of this is resolved, one may develop a negative identity: where one acts hostile towards roles offered as proper and desirable by the community. He also adds that people in this stage cannot love(be intimate) in the truest sense because of the still struggling search for identity.

Now he may be wrong about the love thing but what struck me is the similarity between that generation and this. Think about it...About 80% of university students are not happy in their course and have no idea what they want to do..I wont even talk about 6th formers. I'm not different, I only recently found out I wanted to be a speech therapist. Now he says that this stage finishes at 19 supposedly...maybe our generation experienced a stretch of that. Either that or, our past stages are not fully developed, which is quite disturbing cos one one of those stages is the muscular-anal stage (i.e. excretion) :S

hmmmm.. xD

2 Comments:

  1. Rachel said...
    I agree with you, in some ways we're growing up faster but in other's we're a bit delayed...
    Matt said...
    God, be the solution :)

Post a Comment